The Library is a department of the Hungarian Library Institute at the National Széchényi Library.
It provides services for practising librarians, library students and faculty, researchers, the management of librarianship and all those interested. It is a member of the National Document Supply System (ODR).
Services and activities:
- a collection of books and journals on library and information work, library and information science, librarianship, as well as on the history of books and libraries in a wide sense;
- special collections (theses, dissertations, publicity materials, photos etc.);
- online catalogue (option: Library and Information Science Library);
- LIS documentation (HUMANUS database of Hungarian and international articles, options: Library science or Book history);
- thesaurus of library and information science;
- reference services (in the reading room, by phone, e-mail or normal mail);
- value-added information services (reviews, state-of-the-art reports, materials for decision-making);
- access to professional databases;
- editing and publishing:
- professional journal: Könyvtári Figyelő (Library Review);
- abstracting journal: Hungarian Library and Information Science Abstracts;
- national special bibliography of librarianship: MAKSZAB;
- annual bibliography of book history for the journal Magyar Könyvszemle
- practical training for LIS students;
- management of the museum of the National Széchényi Library.